The Giddings Stone Mansion
Located in Brenham, Tx
This magnificent example of 19th century Greek Revival architecture has eleven rooms and two broad galleries that run the full length of the house, both upstairs and downstairs. A separate building houses the kitchen, laundry and servants’ wing.
The home’s exterior is defined by massive Doric columns and wide verandas. The interior centerpiece of the house is the elegant carved cantilevered staircase, ascending from the lower hallway to the upstairs gallery.
After a yellow fever epidemic in 1868, J.D. Giddings decided to remove his family from low-lying areas where mosquitoes live and breed. He bought a 320 acre tract one mile south of Brenham, on the highest hill in Washington County.
Construction of his new palatial home began in 1869. The mansion was completed in 1870 when the family moved in. J.D. died on the grounds in 1878. His wife, Ann, lived in the house until her death.
Ann and J.D. had eight children, but only three survived to become adults. Their only surviving daughter, Mary Louise Giddings, married Heber Stone in 1879. The couple lived in the Giddings family home their entire married lives, as did some of their descendants for the next three generations.